Copyright notice

All content copyright 2010 by Chelsea Biondolillo. Seriously.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

365 days of being a writer: day 204

I miss my twitter writer friends. The new commute is so short there isn't any time to tweet.

Oh, yeah. And the University of Washington dropped a line accepting me into their program. I'm beyond floored, y'all. BEYOND. Giddy. Hopeful. Ridiculous. So! Excited!

Here's where we stand (for those of you keeping score at home):

YES
  • Texas Tech (biggest pro: great program/faculty; biggest con: not quite totally funded)
  • Kansas State (biggest pro: nature/science faculty; biggest con: higher cost of living than Tech/lower pay)
  • UofWash (biggest pro: David Shields/Seattle; biggest con: waitlist for funding)
  • UofAZ (biggest pro: one of the top 2 nonfiction programs; biggest con: only funded one year at a time-so no guarantee)
  • Portland State (biggest pro: Portland; biggest con: no funding at all)
MAYBE
  • UofWyoming (biggest pro: best program by far; biggest con: I think I want an MA first)
NO RESPONSE YET
  • Penn State (biggest pro: reputation/funding; biggest con: I think I want an MA first)
Today was unproductive: it was spent almost entirely sitting in a cube stifling giggles and chair dancing when no one was looking.

The MA thing. I need the foundation that an MA could give me. The more I think about it, the more I believe these next two years could improve my basic knowledge of literature AND of the graduate school process. Making me even MORE ready for an MFA in two years, or maybe even a PhD. Who knows? Unless something really dramatic happens in the Maybe and Waiting columns, it looks like it's a toss up between TTU and KSU right now.

No comments: