Copyright notice

All content copyright 2010 by Chelsea Biondolillo. Seriously.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

365 days of being a writer: day 198

I'm very stoked to note that Colleen nominated my blog for a Style award. Please go read her inspirational blog this minute (and then come back).

I would love to have the time to write up the reciprocal post, but I am packing for Lubbock tonight. Yee-haw.

I have never "visited" a college before. My heart was set on PNCA from the beginning--one, because it never occurred to me that I might get into other schools; and two, because I couldn't afford to go anywhere else. I toured the building, but it was with the full knowledge that I wanted to go to there.

This tour is different. Tech is trying to convince me (me, you guys!) to attend. It's surreal, really.

I was just talking to a friend about how I never shaved my legs in college. I stopped shaving around high school (I was a hippie, I'll admit it) and didn't start again until my marriage collapsed four years out of college. Those eight years of hairy legs seemed to last forever. But that was almost twenty years ago.  It seems longer ago than that that I had no idea what I wanted to really do with my life--but it's only been three years. Like Barbara Krueger's My Pretty Pony: time has stretched and doubled over and wound around. When I think about how much has changed in those last three years, I am astounded. The day to day of my life, my aspirations, my fundamental wants--everything has changed completely. Who takes this long to figure out their shit? Me. I do.

And let the record show: I still don't have it all figured out, I just have a whole new plan.

Anyway. I have to pack. I am nervous about this visit for petty and not so petty reasons. I want to be liked, I want to be successful. I want to fit in with my potential cohort, and I want to stand out. It's like a blind date with your whole senior class.

No comments: