Copyright notice

All content copyright 2010 by Chelsea Biondolillo. Seriously.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

365 days of being a writer: day 170

I spoke with a man today about my love of technical writing. I didn't lie.

It's the orderliness that gets me where my neuroses tick. I like organizing words into headings and columns. Finding the perfect chart makes me feel good. But like all jobs, there is the rest of it, to bring you down. And at the heart of it, what always really got me, was that my work wasn't doing anyone much good.

First, no one ever reads the instructions. Reports exist to be filed, not read. An operating manual has not ever been savored. So, then I spend my nights writing odes to echinopsis and honeybees.

Speaking of, I also submitted the science column idea to another online journal that was looking for columns. The bees may see the light of day after all.

I have too many things that require finger crossing, instead I am going to cross and uncross them over and over while I watch a movie and knit the rest of the night away.

No comments: