Copyright notice

All content copyright 2010 by Chelsea Biondolillo. Seriously.

Monday, May 30, 2011

365 days of being a writer: day 284

Happy Birthday to me!

I spent the afternoon at a bookstore: found a book by my one of next year's professors, and one by next year's visiting essayist. I also grabbed a disappointing magazine and a journal I want to get into at some point.

The disappointing magazine will remain nameless, but it is a "writer's magazine"--and yet, it is so full of vapid, basic advice (such as, 'need a market for your writing? try researching!') and with such a focus on marketing that it sort of breaks my heart.

And yet, how can I be ready to make this my career if I am not willing to accept that there is hustling and sales involved? That's sort of how art school killed being an artist for me. I really want the work to speak for itself. Is that unrealistic?

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

Happy birthday! (Belated, but still.)