Copyright notice

All content copyright 2010 by Chelsea Biondolillo. Seriously.

Monday, August 23, 2010

365 days of being a writer: day 7

It's been a week!

What have I learned?

Mostly that it takes a real effort to get writing done every day. Also that I am the Queen at Distractor Mousing on the computer. I hate knuckling down even ten minutes before the last minute. That's one good thing about this experiment: it makes every hour my last chance to get some work done.

I managed to submit one DS article (which means I made some money writing today). I also spent several hours working out the directions and maths for a knitting pattern that I am hoping to publish soon.


There is some dissension among my friends and loved ones about whether or not writing a knitting pattern "counts" as writing. It involves words and creativity, so I lean toward yes. However, it is about design and craft and is not literary, so... I can roll with the argument against, too. Regardless. There were words, they required crafting, and now my test knitters are editing it.

Finally, I spent about an hour working on my column submission for McSweeney's. It's tough to walk the line between snarky and nerdgirl enthusiasm. I tend to waffle between earnestness and cynicism. One of the things on which I would spend a portion of any education in writing (if I'm offered one) is fine tuning that razor's edge. Science is funny and nature is ridiculous, but they are also really freaking cool.

No comments: