Copyright notice

All content copyright 2010 by Chelsea Biondolillo. Seriously.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

365 days of being a writer: day 155

I am trying to shake off a bitchy, spiky, leave-me-alone kind of funk. I had all day to write, but I didn't. I hibernated. I pulled out an entire sweater that I knit last year. I unraveled the yarn and untied the knots, it gave me this weird sense of anti-progress.

The geology lecture was good. I learned about some of the differences between the four deserts in the SW: Great Basin, Mojave, Sonoran, and Chihuahuan. Both of the first two are closed water systems. They have no outlet to the ocean, so water can only evaporate, leaving giant salt and gypsum playas. Both the Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts have two rainy seasons, but the latter is higher up, so the winter wet season is too cold to be a growing season. The Sonoran is the only one with two growing seasons. This is why we have tasty grapefruits right now.

The Botanical Garden looked beautiful by the light of the almost-full moon:
Moon over cacti

Next week's class is on the geologic time frame of the Grand Canyon. I get paid on Friday. If there is still space, I will sign up.

Two of my stories made it into the top 25 in my group for the Tweet Me A Story contest: Group 11 - Appetite. There should be voting buttons up in the morning, if you like either of mine please vote for it!

No comments: