Copyright notice

All content copyright 2010 by Chelsea Biondolillo. Seriously.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

365 days of being a writer: day 27

I really needed a weekend. Today, I slept in a little, woke up and went to yoga in a park, came home and had breakfast tacos, and then had a productive afternoon. I feel great.

To keep the distractions at bay, I tried out a kitchen timer. After 30 minutes of writing, I did 30 minutes of housework, and then I got to have 30 minutes of knitting time. By the end of the day I had done nearly three cycles. The knitting reward really helped get the other two segments going (thanks to my friend Corrie for the reward suggestion). As far as writing goes, I managed to outline and research one Demand Studios article, write up the remainder of my notes from my hummingbird banding trip, and start an essay about Diane Arbus--which I am going to use to hopefully get a gig with about.com. I also got all kinds of other small tasks done.

In the past, I've tried to spend all Sunday on the computer "writing"... but that usually ends up as a big old "let me see what everyone I've ever known or heard of is up to" and "while I'm at it, wonder what's trending." Today I don't think I hit Facebook at all.

Tomorrow I need to take the car in to the shop and I'm not sure if I'll be waiting for news here, there, or somewhere else. I will take my notebook and a pair of socks to finish. Thirty minutes appears to be my threshold right now. Any more than that and I get distracted; any less and I can't focus. So, I will treat it like pushups and start with three sets of 30.

No comments: