There are things I don't need that I can't let go of: an old box of pictures, an old box of drawings and paintings from art school, old boxes of little art works. Letters from you and me. Remember letters? I kept most of them. They are crammed in an old card catalog box. There's that box of old diaries and that book I painted all over when I had my first ever show at a gallery. Alex Lilly drew a steak in it and I was so happy.
I also hate to throw away utilitarian objects: rubber bands, twist-ties, paper clips. How much time has been wasted hunting for a paperclip to finalize that submission? Or a rubber band to loop-suture one thing against another?
I still need to pack my clothes and bathroom and there is a box worth of stragglers in the kitchen.
These are the things I will have for the next two months:
- Spanish books
- Giant thesaurus and some grammar/style books
- Reading list books
- Fibery works-in-progress: two sweaters, a pair of socks, arm warmers for a friend, shawl, and afghan
- Running/yoga gear: heart rate monitor, night light, visor, belt with pocket, mat
- Laptop, external drive, mouse
- Two notebooks
- Clothes, jewelry, toiletries
How can I ever let go of all those pictures, letters, paintings? Should I?