Copyright notice

All content copyright 2010 by Chelsea Biondolillo. Seriously.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

365 days of being a writer: day 129

Retail work makes many people hate Christmas. I try hard not to be one of them, but then I don't have time to get a tree, people are rushing around being jerks, holiday bonuses-like ration books-are this mystical thing people in the olden days used to get, and "time with my loved ones" becomes a couple of hours after my shift.

We can laugh with each other on the sales floor some days. And if you aren't there, you miss the joke. We see people trying to steal extra samples, cutting in front of each other in line, deciding how much to spend based on how much care they feel ("It's just my brother's family"), treating the "help" like servants.

People just suck. They are greedy and small minded and will get away with as much as they can. That's what retail teaches you. That money and things are the most important things in the world. If I worked in an emergency room I might suspect it was blood and plasma, but I don't.

So. I was helping people get their prime ribs and their turkeys and their cheese platters today. There was no time to write and there won't be tomorrow. I read up a bit on literary criticism during breaks--it was the best I could do.

No comments: