Copyright notice

All content copyright 2010 by Chelsea Biondolillo. Seriously.

Friday, August 20, 2010

365 days of being a writer: day 4

Some days, it feels like the universe is maybe teasing me. The day, I mean THE DAY after I wax poetic about wanting to write about space (and rocks, and bugs, and birds--I was thinking it, even if I didn't say it), McSweeney's Internet Tendency posts a contest for new columnists.

Now, I don't know if questionable science essays from a total backseat science nerd are what they are looking for, but I spent most of the bus ride brainstorming column ideas. I came up with 20 off the top of my head. I will be spending the rest of the week (that isn't spent studying for my astronomy final) on a column draft and titles. David Quammen's collected essays from his Outside magazine pieces is some of the consistently funniest AND smart biology (and botany) writing I've read, and a huge inspiration. Suggestions for a title are welcome.

I was also able to finish up the draft of my print piece and send it off to my editor--all after an 8 hour day, and a chapter on the recycling of galactic gas through stars to nebulas and supernovas back to stars (and, ok fine, one episode of the Office UK on Hulu.com). I am officially beat.

Still no word from my former advisor. Trying not to read anything into that, so that my sleep can be easy. Novenas and crossed fingers are all welcome.

No comments: